Co-habitation Agreements

Home » LGBT Advice » Co-habitation Agreements

Co-habitation Agreements

As the law stands, the only solution for cohabiting couples who want legal protection should they split up is either to marry or enter a civil partnership, or to draw up a cohabitation agreement, otherwise known as a living together agreement. 

These agreements can be extremely useful by recording financial arrangements, or wishes relating to future childcare arrangements. They are also useful in avoiding disputes at a later date if the relationship does break down.

Contact Us
resolution logo

Why do I need Brockbanks?

If you want to make it even more likely that a court would uphold the agreement if you split up, it is best that the agreement is written up by a solicitor (who can also provide legal advice on it).

Our family team include Resolution members who are experts in family law and can assist in the  preparation of cohabitation agreements


Further information on cohabiting with someone

We’ve been helping to raise awareness of legal issues relating to unmarried couples as part of a national campaign. To find out more, please watch the following video or speak to one of our family lawyers. A fact sheet has also been produced and is available here